A look back at 2017….

January 5, 2018 will be 9 months since my diagnosis.  I thought I would do a review of my journey and how far God has brought me!

I can not do this post and leave this part out, if you are due or past due for your annual mammogram, call and make your appointment!

I am amazed at how quickly the past almost nine months have flown by!  I remember the day I was diagnosed and thinking how the surgery seemed so far away!  Now I am almost three months post surgery and gearing up to finish up my surgeries! God is good!  He has carried me through this journey.  I am a planner and cancer was not in my plans but cancer has taught me a lot.

We are so thankful for all our friends and prayer warriors who have walked this journey with us and prayed for us and continue praying for us.  We are thankful for the great team of doctors I have!  I have said before and will say again, it takes a village to fight cancer and I am thankful for my village!


April 3rd , I went in for my annual mammogram.  That mammogram turned into a sonogram and a biopsy all on the same day. I believe it was God that they were able to get me in for the biopsy while I was there and not send me home to come back another day.  I could not believe that this was actually happening.

April 5th, Two days later I received the phone call from Dr. A that I did indeed have breast cancer and also was able to get an appointment with my surgical oncologist that very same day.  I believe that was God too, because how often do you see a doctor for a first time visit less than three hours after calling for an appointment!  On this day I found out that I had aggressive triple negative breast cancer, grade 3, and on a scale of 0-100, with 0 being the least aggressive and 100 being the most, mine was a 90.  Dr. G told me the plan would be chemo first, followed by surgery, but told me I still needed to see the medical oncologist to confirm.

April 6th, I met with my medical oncologist and went in for my genetic counseling and blood work.  My medical oncologist, Dr. J, confirmed that the plan that Dr. G talked about was what we were doing.  I would have 16 chemo treatments, 4 AC treatments every other week for 8 weeks followed by 12 weekly Taxol treatments.

April 7th, I went in for my CT, MRI and Bone Scans.

April 10th, I received a call from my surgical oncologist, Dr. G, that my scans came back and my cancer was contained to my left breast!  Praise the Lord!!

April 12th, I went with my friend Susan, a breast cancer survivor, to pick out my wig.

April 15th, we had to say good-bye to our sweet Sadie.  That was a tough day.

April 17th, I had a day surgery to have my port put in.

April 18th, I went to the cancer center to receive my first chemo treatment. Dr. A and I at my first treatment.


May 2nd,  I went for my second round of chemo and my hair had started falling out.  That day, after chemo, my friend Amy P and I went and I had my head shaved and picked up my wig and a really cute scarf:).


I received two more rounds of chemo in May after that and that finished out the AC treatments!

On May 22nd, after round 3 and before round 4, I had a sonogram and found out the tumor was SHRINKING!!!  Chemo was doing what it was suppose to do.

E had her field trip in May, and I went!  Keith drove me so if I started feeling bad then we could leave, thankfully I was able to stay the whole time!

One of the hardest things through this for me, the helicopter mom, was missing out on my sweet E’s activities.  Thankfully, Keith was at them and other moms would send me pictures of things I could not be at.  I was very glad that I finished up the AC treatments while E was in school though.


June is when I started going to chemo weekly.  My biggest prayer request each week was that my counts would be high enough to get my treatment and not miss one.  God answered those prayer request, week after week!!  The new chemo (Taxol) was totally different than the AC treatment. I still had some side effects but I went to chemo on Tuesday’s and then on Wednesday’s was up and moving!


July we celebrated sweet E’s birthday and this mama had the energy to throw the party!

I continued with my weekly treatments through July.


August rolled around and I was still going to weekly treatments. When I first met with my oncologist we told her that we had a vacation already scheduled in August.  She said go, so we knew the whole time that I would miss one treatment, but that just meant I would go an extra week into September.  They never wanted me to miss many treatments, but said one was ok.

We had an awesome time at the beach this year with friends.


Oh wow!  September was here and on September 5th I had my last chemo treatment.  That was an exciting day!  It was also an emotional day and week before and the week following.  Chemo was over and now it was time to start preparing for surgery!


October was finally here!  So much happened in October!

October 1st, Amy Jane, Danielle and Heidi (the girls in the middle picture) threw a little party celebrating that chemo was over and my surgeries were about to begin.

October 4th, I had my lymph node biopsy and they removed 4 lymph nodes and they all came back clear!  Praise the Lord!!

October 11th, the surgery I had been waiting over 6 months for was finally here, it was time for my double mastectomy!  It was time to see if chemo had worked.  I was so thankful the surgery was not as bad as I thought it would be!!

October 17th, I received a call from Dr. G,  the pathology reports were back and there was no signs of cancer!  God had healed my body!! When I went to my next appointment, she gave me a copy of my report!!! God Is Good!!!!  I am a Cancer SURVIVOR!  My friend Dena took me to the doctor that day, it was an early morning appointment, so what did we do to go celebrate, shopping, of course;).


November was follow up appointments, Thanksgiving, a brain scan, and my birthday!

Thankfully, my brain scan came back clear!!!

Birthdays have a whole new meaning to me now.  I now look forward to getting a year older rather than thinking that I am getting old!  Every day is a gift!

When I was going through chemo, I was trying to figure out something I could do to give back.  I was really focused on doing something for the holidays.  I finally decided on making Christmas ornaments and found a cute file that I could cut with my Cricut on Etsy.  I hope to continue doing this each year.   I dropped off ornaments to both of my oncologist offices and to my ob/gyn’s office.  I know now to start buying the white ornaments as soon as the stores put them out because when I went to purchase more they were out of the size I wanted!


December has been a month of celebrating!  Celebrating our Saviors birth!!  I love Christmas!!

We hosted our Christmas Eve party and enjoyed spending time with each person there.

We had an awesome Christmas morning and then went to a friends for Christmas lunch.

Thank you for all your prayers and walking this journey with us!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from our family to yours!

Thank you for walking this journey with us!


Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.  James 1:2-4 (ESV)

For nothing will be impossible with God.  Luke 1:37 (ESV)






2 thoughts on “A look back at 2017….

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s