Day 1 – April 5, 2017

I had just sat down at my desk with my favorite Starbucks coffee when my phone rang at 9:53AM and I looked down and saw it was my doctor calling.  I answered and within just a minute or so of us talking she broke the news to me that my biopsy had come back and I had breast cancer.  To say I was wailing in the phone would probably be an understatement.  It was NOT what I wanted her to say…I wanted her to call and say the spot is benign and I had been worrying for no reason at all.

After I calmed down enough that we could somewhat talk she told me what I needed to do and the surgical oncologist I needed to see.  We got off the phone and I quickly dialed the surgical oncologist’s number and started the process of getting an appointment.  The sweet girl who I spoke to on the phone told me she had to get all my info in the system and get my results and that the scheduler would call me back.  I asked her to please BEG the person that would be scheduling my appointment to get me in that day.

My phone rang again around 11:30 and they told me there was an opening at 12:30 and could I be there.  ABSOLUTELY!  I told them I was getting ready to leave and head that way.  My husband had already made it home and we loaded up and headed to my doctors appointment.

I went in and she examined me and then took me to her office to talk.  It was then I found out that I have “Invasive Ductal Carcinoma”.  My cancer is aggressive.  On the scale they look at for aggressiveness, from 0-100% mine is at 90%.

She suggested that I should have chemo first and then surgery but that I would need to also consult with the medical oncologist too and see what they suggested.

Sidenote: I really liked the surgical oncologist.  As we sat and talked it did not feel like I was just meeting her for the first time. She was very kind and very reassuring, which I needed for sure.

Once she had finished talking with us she took us to meet her nurse who would help get my appointments set up.  I asked her could we get them today?  She told me probably not today but maybe tomorrow – and guess what, that is just what she did! She got me into the medical oncologist the next morning and in for my genetic counseling/testing that same day too.  She also had to schedule my scans.

I started sharing with my friends after the phone call from my doctor.  Several friends knew I was waiting on results and I was nervous as I was waiting.  The love and support that we felt from our friends and are still feeling has meant so much to us.  We are thankful to have so many people praying us through each day of this journey.


I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth.  These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them.
Isaiah 42:16 NIV


One thought on “Day 1 – April 5, 2017

  1. Pingback: One Year Ago Today….Diagnosis | Through Tears And Laughter

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s